Affordable Health Care in Alamance County
Health insurance can be confusing, but help is available. To set up a free meeting with a non-profit assistance, call 1-855-733-3711 or go online to NC Heath Connect‘s website to schedule your appointment today!
Every plan on the marketplace must cover basic services, such as:
- Doctor visits (both check-ups and sick visits)
- Prescription drugs
- Child dental and vision care.
- Emergency care and hospital stays.
- Pregnancy and newborn care.
- Mental health and substance use treatment.
- You may receive tax credits to help pay your monthly insurance costs.
- If you can afford insurance and choose not to purchase it, you will have to pay a penalty each year.
Important Information For You to Know:
- If you can afford health insurance and choose NOT to buy it, you will pay a penalty!
- Young adults can remain on their parent’s health insurance plan up to the age of 26.
- To be eligible for insurance on the Health Insurance Marketplace, you must be a U.S. Citizen or legal resident.
- If you need assistance with the application process, there is help available. You can find a navigator near you and make an appointment by calling 1-855-733-3711 (toll-free) or using the Get Covered Connector scheduling tool at GetCoveredAmerica.org/Connector.
- To get coverage, fill out an application on HealthCare.gov (you will need an email address to do this).
- You can compare health care plans through this website.
- You can also see if you qualify for cost assistance through Medicaid.
- Help with payments is available for individuals making between $12,000 and $48,000 per year or families of 4 making between $24,000 and $96,000 per year.
- Nearly 9 out of 10 people who have enrolled through HealthCare.gov receive cost assistance.
Important Dates To Remember:
- November 1, 2017: Beginning of Open Enrollment – anyone can buy or change their insurance plan on HealthCare.gov
- December 15, 2017: Last day to choose plan that will start on January 1, 2018
- You could be subject to a fine if you do not enroll for health insurance and do not apply for an exemption.
- You must pay your first month’s premium before the start of your plan. Plan to pay your first month’s premium around the same time as the end of the Enrollment period.
All insurance plans on the Health Care Marketplace MUST cover basic services including:
- Doctor visits (including check-ups)
- Prescription drugs (If available, generic medication will cost you less than name-brand)
- Emergency room visits and hospital stays (may have a large co-pay)
- Pregnancy and newborn care
- Contraceptives for all women (including birth control pills, IUDs, and emergency contraceptives)
- Mental health and substance use treatment
You can get help for coverage! Trained individuals can meet with you in-person to assist you through this process. Call (855) 733 3711 or go online to NC Health Connect to schedule an appointment.
Assistance is unbiased and offered in these locations:
- Legal Aid of North Carolina – Call 1- 855-733-3711 to schedule an appointment with a navigator or on-line at https://connector.getcoveredamerica.org. Locations throughout the state. (English & Spanish)
- Piedmont Health Services (PHS) – Call the individual sites below to schedule an appointment.
Charles Drew Community Health Center & Burlington Community Health Center
(336) 260-2720 (English & Spanish)
Scott Community Health Center
(919) 357-8216 (English & Spanish)
Prospect Hill Community Health Center
(336) 639-0427 (English & Spanish)
Moncure Community Health Center
(919) 710-1554 (English only)
Siler City Community Health Center
(919) 357-8216 (English & Spanish)
Carrboro Community Health Center
(919) 724-5227 (English, Spanish and Burmese)
- SHAC Get Covered Carolina (GCC) – Call (919) 590-9266 to schedule an appointment. Enrollment locations in Carrboro and Chapel Hill (English & Spanish).
- UNC Family Medicine – Call (919) 545-3440 to schedule an appointment. Enrollment location in Chapel Hill only (English & Spanish).
- Stedman-Wade Health Services – Call (910) 483-6694 ext. 7029 to schedule an appointment. Appointment hours: Mon-Weds 8:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Thursday 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Friday 8:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.