NC Works – NC Works has a variety of resources for job seekers including a job search of current openings throughout North Carolina, career help, education and training resources, resume writing, job market information, and more. Searching for a job does not require an account but using other resources requires you to create an account with personal information, including your social security number.
Ferguson’s Career Guidance Center – Comprehensive resource that enables users to explore industries and careers, plan their education, and research best practices for résumés, cover letters, interviewing, networking, and salaries/benefits. The database includes articles, career advice blogs, and streaming video. You will need to enter your library card number to access. For a video tutorial click here.
Gale Testing & Education Reference Center – Testing and education preparation resource. Includes in-depth information on college, graduate, and professional programs, professional training, scholarships, and entrance tests alongside practice tests for entrance exams, certifications, and licensing exams. You will need to enter your library card number to access. For a video tutorial click here.
Learning Express Library – Provides support to students and professionals for academic skill-building, standardized test prep, career certification test prep and more. You will need to enter your library card number to access. For a video tutorial click here.
ReferenceUSA – search millions of job postings. You will need to enter your library card number to access.
Many online resume builders seem free but will require you to pay when you try to download or print. These are free resume builders:
- Visual CV Resume Creator – available on Gale Testing & Education Reference Center under Career/Resume Writing (you will need a library card to access).
- For a simple resume try Cypress Resume (you will need a library card to access).
- CVmaker is a website that allows you to create a free resume to download and print. Create a free account to make changes at a later time.
- Microsoft Word templates (available on library computers).
Here are 43 tips on how to write a winning resume.
Never written a cover letter before? Need to update your cover letter for the perfect job? Here are some online articles to help you get started.
- Beginner’s guide to writing a cover letter in 2020.
- All-time best tips to writing a cover letter.
- Write an effective cover letter using these tips.
Congratulations for landing a job interview! Here are some tips to help you prepare.
- Make a great impression with these 21 interview tips.
- Check out these tips to succeed in a virtual interview.
- Here is another article to help you ace the virtual interview.
- This ultimate interview guide gives you 30 prep tips.