Affordable Health Care in Alamance County
- Important dates:
- November 1, 2020: Beginning of Open Enrollment – anyone can buy or change their insurance plan on HealthCare.gov
- December 15, 2020: Last day to choose plan that will start on January 1, 2021
- You must pay your first month’s premium before the start of your plan. Plan to pay your first month’s premium around the same time as the end of the Enrollment period
- Young adults can remain on their parents’ health insurance plan up to age 26.
- To be eligible for insurance on the Marketplace, you must be a US citizen or have legal status in the United States.
- To get coverage, you will need to fill out an application on HealthCare.gov
- If you need free assistance with the application process, there is local as well as national help available. Please look at the Local Resources in Alamance County for organizations located in Alamance County. You can also find a navigator near you and make an appointment using the in-line tool Get Covered Connector scheduling tool at GetCoveredAmerica.org/Connector.
- Things to remember:
- You can compare plans and costs through this website and you can also see if you qualify for cost assistance or Medicaid
- Nearly 9 in 10 people receive cost assistance
- With financial assistance, the average premium per individual was $80 per month.
- All insurance plans on the Marketplace must cover basic services including:
- Doctor visits (including check-ups)
- Prescription drugs (If available, generic medication will cost you less than name-brand)
- Emergency room visits and hospital stays
- Pregnancy and newborn care
- Contraceptives for all women (including birth control pills, IUDs, and emergency contraceptives)
- Mental health and substance use treatment
How Do I…
You can get help for coverage! Trained individuals can meet with you in-person to assist you through this process. Call (855) 733 3711 or go online to Get Covered Connector to schedule an appointment.
Assistance is unbiased and offered in these locations:
- Legal Aid of North Carolina – Call 1- 855-733-3711 to schedule an appointment with a navigator or on-line at https://connector.getcoveredamerica.org. Locations throughout the state. (English & Spanish)
- Piedmont Health Services (PHS) – Call the individual sites below to schedule an appointment.
Charles Drew Community Health Center & Burlington Community Health Center
(336) 260-2720 (English & Spanish)
Scott Community Health Center
(919) 619-5457 (English & Spanish)
Prospect Hill Community Health Center
(336) 639-0427 (English & Spanish)
Moncure Community Health Center
(919) 710-1554 (English only)
Siler City Community Health Center
(919) 357-8216 (English & Spanish)
Carrboro Community Health Center
(919) 724-5227 (English, Spanish and Burmese)
- SHAC Get Covered Carolina (GCC) – Call (919) 590-9266 to schedule an appointment. Enrollment locations in Carrboro and Chapel Hill (English & Spanish).
- UNC Family Medicine – Call (919) 545-3440 to schedule an appointment. Enrollment location in Chapel Hill only (English & Spanish).
- Stedman-Wade Health Services – Call (910) 483-6694 ext. 7029 to schedule an appointment. Appointment hours: Mon-Weds 8:00 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Thursday 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Friday 8:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.